top of page
愛宕の森と緑を守る会
Washio Castle Toe (Meinohama Castle / Tandai Castle )
Behind Otojiro Inari Shrine , the summit of a small mountain about 200m south-southeast of Atago Shrine is an almost flat square. This is the place where the shrine of Suga Shrine, which is currently missing, and the "Atagoyama Cable Car" Yamagami Station were located. And now there is nothing left, but it is also the place where it is believed that Washio Castle was once built. Washio Castle was also called Meinohama Castle. Until recently, this castle was thought to have been built when the Kamakura Shogunate established the Chinzei tandai in 1293 (the first year of Ein) after the Mongol invasion, with the aim of controlling Kyushu. In the guidebook, it is introduced as the site of "Tandai Castle". However, it is now accepted that the Tandai Castle was not located here, but in Gionmachi, Hakata-ku, in the center of Fukuoka City. It is not clear what kind of relationship Washio Castle had with Chinzei tandai, but it may have been positioned as a local agency. However, in today's world where physical evidence has not been found, it is difficult to clarify and confirm historical facts only from folklore .
From "Chikuzen Kokuryo Fudoki Vol. No. 2 Tsutsumi Kaname ○ Chikuzen Tandai "
".... In March of the first year of Fushimi-in Ein, Kamakura Shikken Hojo Sadatoki, for the first time Hojo Kanetoki, was sent to Tsukushi from Rokuhara, and became the subject of Zhensai, and governed the political affairs of Futajima, Kyushu. As a feudal lord of Saigoku, he prepares to protect against the invasion of gangsters. At the same time, he built a castle on the mountain of Mt.
(Click the image to enlarge)

鷲尾城跡の位置
「探題城趾」と記された位置が鷲尾城趾(姪浜城趾)があったと伝えられている場所。そばに「須賀神社」も表示されている。

鷲尾城趾への入口
階段を上り、樹々の中の道をあがっていくと城趾の広場(さほど広いわけではないが)にたどり着く。

音次郎稲荷脇の登り口
少々急な階段・坂道ではあるが、鷲尾城趾への近道だ。音次郎稲荷神社入り口の脇から登る。

山上の平坦部
この平坦部に鷲尾城が築かれていたと伝えられている。。城の遺跡は何も無く、雑草が生い茂っているだけだ。

須賀神社
山上の一番高い場所には、須賀神社の小さな祠があった。いつの頃か知らないが跡形も無く撤去され、今は見ることが出来ない。

山上広場の桜
春になるとソメイヨシノやヤマザクラが満開となって、知る人にとっての絶好のお花見の会場となる。

ロープウェイ山上駅跡
山上の南側部分、須賀神社の脇にはかつて賑わった「愛宕山ケーブルカー」の山上駅の遺構が残されている(「愛宕山ケーブルカー」のページ参照)。守る会による整備の前は木々に埋もれて、ほんの一部しか姿を見せていなかった。
© Atago Forest and Green Protection Association
bottom of page